Pax Arctica's Blog

Saturday, June 30, 2007

New photos - Nouvelles photos

Please go on the PHOTOS section of the web site for a photo report of last week activity.

Vous pouvez trouver dans la section Photos un aperçu des activités de cette dernière semaine.

Friday, June 29, 2007

Waiting for the plane - Nous attendons l’avion

This Friday morning is quiet. We are supposed to be picked up at 10 am by the Twin Otter.
After a few phone calls and (again) changes in flight plans, we end up being picked up at 3:15pm in the afternoon instead of 10am in the morning.
So we end up hanging around, not able to use the day fully as if we had known in advance we had the entire morning for ourselves (could have collected more lichens/flowers in the area). Ben, Olivier and I discuss our logistics for the trip next week. Vladimir (4) paints on a little notebook, Flaam, Ainhoa and Baptiste play poker, a new game for the girls that Baptiste introduces here... We pack most of our stuff but keep the tents up until we are really sure the plane is coming. Indeed I am still finishing stuffing the tent in its bag when we hear the plane coming. Excitement to see the plane now. Easy landing. We load in 10-15 minutes and then the plane must take off with the 800 kgs we represent. Not easy as the plane has to take off up the glacier as the wind has turned. The Twin makes it but you can tell the pilot is using almost ALL what it has to get us out of there...
All arrive safely to Akureyri at 6:15 pm.
Tomorrow morning we take off again for the second part of our expedition in the extreme northern part of the National Park...

Ce vendredi matin est calme. Le Twin Otter, notre avion, devait venir nous récupérer ce matin à 10 heures.
Après plusieurs appels téléphoniques et (encore) des changements dans nos plans de vols, nous avons finalement embarqué à 15h15 à la place de 10h du matin. Nous finissons donc par tourner en rond, sans pouvoir profiter de toute la journée comme nous l’aurions fait si nous avions su que nous disposions de la matinée de libre (nous aurions pu collecter plus de fleurs et de lichens dans cette zone). Ben, Olivier et moi discutons de la logistique pour le voyage de la semaine prochaine. Vladimir (4 ans) peint sur un petit carnet tandis que Flaam, Ainhoa et Baptiste jouent au poker, un nouveau jeu que Baptiste a appris aux filles. Nous avons emballé la plupart de nos affaires, mais nous ne rangeons pas les tentes avant d’être sûr de voir l’avion arriver. D’ailleurs, je suis encore entrain de les ranger quand nous entendons l’avion. Quelle excitation de voir l’avion arriver ! Atterrissage facile. Nous le chargeons en 10-15 minutes et l’avion doit redécoller avec nos 800 kg en plus. L’avion rencontre des difficultés pour repartir du glacier car le vent a tourné. Le Twin a réussi, mais nous pouvons dire que le pilote a fait tout ce qu’il pouvait pour nous sortir de là...
Nous arrivons sans encombre à Akureyri à 18h15.
Demain matin, nous repartons pour la deuxième partie de notre expédition dans la partie la plus au nord du parc national.

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The summit - Le sommet

This morning we woke up at 6:10am and after getting ready for an hour and a half we finally jumped on our skis to reach the summit. We have to stop every hour to rest and eat because it’s getting harder and harder and the equipment we carry is heavy.
2:30 pm : we just reached a rocky area 300 meters from the summit, we are very proud we made it this far already. Ainhoa is exhausted so I decided I’ll stay with her while Flaam and Ben will be climbing to the summit.
They came back 2 hours later and we all agreed that Flaam will be staying with Ainhoa while I’ll be climbing to the summit with Ben.
This is amazing! The top of the mountain is a 360 degree panorama view: we can see glaciers, lakes…
On our way down ( 40 meters from the summit), we noticed a yellow stain on the ground. Surprisingly we found some lichen! We took a sample of it with our ice axe so that we can bring it to Olivier who will analyze it. We didn’t expect to find any here but this is definitely the “highest lichen” of the arctic.
Then, we returned to Flaam and Ainhoa , who were in a really good spirit, took our skins off and jumped back on our skis. The way down won’t be easy because the snow is unstable.
We stopped at the intermediate camp , ate a soup with Brigitte and Baptiste (who just came from the base camp) then took it apart to reach the base camp by the end of the day

Nous nous réveillons ce matin à 6h10, et après 1h30 de préparatifs, nous chaussons nos skis et nous partons en direction du sommet. Nous faisons des arrêts toutes les heures pour nous reposer et manger un petit peu car la pente est raide et avec le poids de l’équipement nous sommes fatigués. Nous arrivons à 14h30 sur un petit plateau rocheux à 300m du sommet, nous sommes très heureux d’être arrivés jusque là. Ainhoa est épuisée, je décide de rester avec elle pendant que Flaam et Ben grimpent au sommet. Ils reviennent deux heures plus tard, et nous décidons ensemble que Flaam reste avec Ainhoa pendant que je pars avec Ben pour le sommet. Du haut du sommet la vue est magnifique, nous pouvons voir à 360 degrés des glaciers, des petits lacs... En redescendant, 40 m en contre bas, nous apercevons une tache jaune, du lichen. Nous en prenons un morceau avec le piolet pour avoir un échantillon à donner à Olivier afin qu’il puisse le faire analyser. Nous ne savons pas ce qu’il fait là, mais c’est le lichen le plus haut de l'arctique. En suite, nous retrouvons Flaam et Ainhoa qui sont de bonne humeur et nous rechaussons nos skis en enlevant nos peaux de phoque pour la descente qui est difficile à cause de la mauvaise neige. Nous arrivons au camp intermédiaire où nous mangeons une soupe avec Brigitte et Baptiste qui sont montés du camp de base. Nous démontons le camp intermédiaire pour rejoindre le camp de base ce soir.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Heading towards summit - En route pour le sommet

Finally, after a 24 hour wait, Olivier’s team met us on the glacier down the Gunnbjorn Fjeld. They set their camp with us and after breakfast, we left with Ben (our guide) , Ainhoa and Flaam to reach the next camp on our way to the summit. We are currently evolving at a 2500 meter height, the weather is beautiful but cold as the mountain hides the sun. It’s 6 am, we’re ready for a long day of walking and skiing to the summit.
En route pour le sommet

Finalement après 24 heures d’attente, l’équipe d’Olivier nous a rejoint sur le glacier au pied du Gunnbjorn Fjeld. Ils se sont installés avec nous, et après le déjeuner, nous sommes partis avec Ben (notre guide de montagne), Ainhoa et Flaam vers le prochain camp sur la route du sommet. Nous sommes actuellement à 2500 mètres d’altitude, il fait beau mais froid car la montagne cache le soleil. A 6 heures du matin nous repartons pour une journée de marche et de ski pour grimper vers le sommet.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Back to Greenland - Retour au Groenland

Finally we’ve been able to leave Iceland early this morning, we’re currently at the base camp down the Gunnbjorn glacier. Our plane was supposed to go back to Iceland to get some gas, pick up Olivier and his team then bring them back to our camp by 6-7 pm. Since they were late, we called the airport and found out that the plane had to land to pick up equipment for another team but unfortunately couldn’t take off because the snow was too soft. So obviously, they will have to wait until 11pm (when the sun comes down and the snow gets harder) to leave for Iceland in good conditions. Then they will be able to pick up Olivier and his team. We are expecting them by 4-5 am. Enjoying the weather and ready for our expedition.

Nous avons finalement pu quitter l’Islande tôt ce matin, nous sommes actuellement au camp de base du glacier Gunnbjorn. L’avion devait repartir directement en Islande pour reprendre de l’essence et ensuite récupérer Olivier et son équipe, pour les ramener au camp de base où nous sommes, vers 18h 19h. Comme ils sont en retard, nous avons appelé l'aéroport ou ils nous ont dit que l’avion était passé prendre, sur sa route, du matériel d’une autre équipe mais qu’il ne pouvait pas redécoller car la neige était trop molle. Ils vont devoir attendre 23h, que le soleil baisse et que la neige durcisse, pour pouvoir repartir pour l’Islande. Ensuite seulement, ils iront rechercher Olivier et son équipe, nous les attendons vers 4h 5h du matin.
Sinon ici tout va bien, nous avons du beau temps.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Making a U-turn - Nous faisons demi-tour

This is the area in Greenland, very near Mt Gunnbjornsfjeld (GBF) where we should have been dropped today.
We left Akureyri, Iceland early this morning and had planned to be dropped at base camp, just my two daughters (Flaam and Aïnhoa) and I. The plan was then for the Twin Otter plane to go get Olivier and his team where they are still stranded now (about 100 miles from GBF) and bring them to us at the base camp of GBF. We would have waited for approx. 6 hours on our own until the rest of the team joined us. Because of the risk of polar bear wandering in the area, I did get a crash course in rifle use: a made-in-Finland hunting rifle (3 bullets) - me the pacifist... And flares too! I’ll have to teach the girls how to use it, in case. Anyway, no use today as we had to fly back to Isafjordur, Iceland, since the two pilots decided they could not land at GBF: although the weather looked quite OK (see picture), they could not distinguish snow from air, not a good way to start a landing on snow (we can’t blame them: two weeks ago they landed at the same location with poor snow conditions and got stranded for 40 hours, shoveling snow for 12 hours to clear a “runway” for the plane to take off).
Weather is supposed to be slightly better tomorrow... We’ll see....
Luc (+ Flaam and Ainhoa)

C’est le secteur du Groenland, très près de Mt Gunnbjornsfjeld (GBF) où nous aurions du être déposés aujourd’hui.
Nous avons quitté Akureyri, Islande, tôt ce matin et avions planifié d'être déposés au camp de base, juste mes deux filles (Flaam et Aïnhoa) et moi. Le but était alors pour l’avionTwin Otter de prendre Olivier et son équipe à l’endroit où ils étaient toujours (à environ 100 miles de GBF) et de nous les ramener au camp de base de GBF. Nous aurions attendu seuls pendant environ 6 heures jusqu’à ce que le reste de l’équipe nous ait rejoints. A cause du risque des ours blancs qui errent dans le secteur, j’ai suivi un cours intensif sur le maniement du fusil, un fusil de chasse de fabrication finlandaise (3 balles) - moi le pacifiste... De même pour les fusées de signalisation! Je devrai aussi l’apprendre aux filles au cas où. De toute façon cela n’a pas été utile aujourd’hui car nous avons du rentrer à Isafjordur, Islande, car les deux pilotes ont décidé qu’ils ne pouvaient pas atterrir à GBF: bien que le temps ait l’air calme (voir l’image), ils ne pouvaient pas distinguer la neige de l’air, ce n’est pas une bonne façon pour commencer un atterrissage sur la neige (nous ne pouvons pas les blâmer: il y a deux semaines ils ont atterris au même endroit après avoir échoué pendant 40 heures, ils ont du déblayer la neige pendant 12 heures pour préparer la piste de décollage de l’avion pour repartir).
Le temps devrai être légèrement meilleur demain... nous verrons bien...
Luc (+Flaam et Ainhoa)

Friday, June 22, 2007

Ivory Gulls




PS: the ivory gulls are visible as tiny white dots on the rock face

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Ivory Gulls seen! - Observation de mouettes ivoires!

Yesterday our team was able to see ivory gulls in a region approx. 100kms NE of Gunnbjörnsfjeld (GBF). The team had left ahead of us on Monday, we will join them this Sunday before flying to GBF. First time in more than 20 years that ivory gulls have been seen in this area (not that they were not there but nobody really goes in these regions...)

Hier notre équipe a pu voir des mouettes ivoires dans une région à approximativement 100 km au NE de Gunnbjörnsfjeld (GBF). L'équipe est partie en avance par rapport à nous lundi, nous les rejoindrons ce dimanche avant de prendre le vol pour GBF. C'est la première fois depuis plus de 20 ans que des mouettes ivoires sont aperçues dans cette zone (ce n'est pas qu'elles n'étaient pas là mais personne ne va dans ces régions).

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

REVO encounter in Reykjavik - Rencontre REVO à Reykjavik

While waiting to board the plane yesterday from Reykjavik to Greenland, we bump into a French citizen, travelling around the world, with his PC (he is a trader). Nicolas (his name) saw the French flag and REVO logo on Ainhoa’s jacket. Nicolas tells us that he has used REVO sunglasses for the last ten years, that they are the best for heavy sun conditions, and that he is wearing some right now (and no we are not paid to say this of our sponsor, it just happens to be a true coincidence). Today is also Greenland National Day: no revolution here, so they picked the first day of summer as their N Day.

Pendant que nous attendions à Reykjavik pour embarquer dans l’avion pour le Groenland, nous tombons sur un français, qui voyage à travers le monde avec son PC (c’est un trader). Nicolas (c’est son nom) voit le drapeau Français et le logo REVO sur la veste d’Ainhoa. Nicolas nous dit qu’il a utilisé des lunettes de soleil REVO pendant les dix dernières années, et que se sont les meilleurs lunettes à utiliser dans les endroits très lumineux, et qu’il en porte à ce moment même (et nous ne sommes pas payés pour dire cela de notre sponsor, c’est juste du à une heureuse coïncidence).
Aujourd’hui c’est la fête nationale au Groenland : pas de révolution ici, ils ont donc pris le premier jour de l’été comme fête nationale.

Arrived in Greenland - Arrivée au Groenland

Will spend 2-3 days in this village, located at ScoresbySund, which is the largest fjord in the world. The Municipality of Ittoqqortoormiit is the size of Great Britain - with just 550 citizens!

Nous allons passer 2-3 jours dans ce village situé à ScoresbuSund, qui est le plus grand fjord du monde. La municipalité de Ittoqqortoormiit est de la taille de la Grande Bretagne avec juste 550 citoyens.

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Arrived in Iceland - Arrivée en Islande

Hardy team has arrived in Reykjavik and will connect to Greenland tomorrow (village of Ittoqqortoormiit).
We have lost contact with the rest of the team which arrived yesterday on the ice cap. They could not email us their Sat phone number so we will wait for their call on Wednesday at our pre-arranged time. We are sorting out charter (Twin Otter) flight arrangements to see how we will connect later this week at Gunnbjornsfjeld (highest peak) base camp.

L’équipe d’Hardy est arrivée à Reykjavik et rejoindra le Groenland demain (village de Ittoqqortoormiit).
Nous avons perdu le contact avec le reste de l’équipe qui est arrivée hier sur le cap de glace. Ils n’ont pas pu nous envoyer par email leur numéro de téléphone satellite donc nous attendrons leur appel mercredi, à l’heure prévue. Nous cherchons des arrangements de vols du charter (Twin Otter) pour voir comment nous nous rejoindrons plus tard dans la semaine au camp de base de Gunnbjornsfjeld (le plus haut sommet).

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Last minutes check - Vérifications de dernière minute

Olivier (chief Scientist) and Ben (our guide and parasailer pilot) are preparing our equipment in a hangar at Akureyri, the airport in Iceland where most of our transiting will occur.
Coincidently our first au pair (15 years ago), Sigrun, is from there. We will have a chance to briefly visit her hometown this week then.
The scientific team will be on the ice pack starting tomorrow or Tuesday. I will join them later this week, after taking of some logistical matters in Reykjavik and Akureyri and transiting via ScoresbySund, at the mouth of the largest fjord in the world.


Olivier (chef de l’équipe scientifique) et Ben (notre guide et pilote de para moteur) préparent notre équipement dans un hangar à Akureyri, l'aéroport en Islande où la plupart de notre transit arrivera.
Heureuse coïncidence, notre première au pair (il y a 15 ans), Sigrun, est de cet endroit. Nous aurons alors la chance de visiter rapidement sa ville natale cette semaine.
L’équipe scientifique sera sur la calotte glacière demain ou mardi. Je viendrai les rejoindre plus tard dans la semaine, après avoir résolu des problèmes logistiques à Reykjavik et Akureri et transité via ScoresbySund, l’entrée du plus grand fjord du monde.


Friday, June 8, 2007

Press conference in Paris - Conférence de presse à Paris

We had a very successful press conference in Paris on June 6 (at the Domaine de Longchamps, the HQs of the WWF).
Thanks to Green Cross International’s marketing efforts, over 100 attendees showed up (a good fraction was media).
Great interview from Yves Paccalet (thank you KDS), president of Green Cross France

Nous avons eu un très grand succès à la conférence de presse du 6 juin à Paris (au domaine de Longchamps, le siège WWF).
Merci pour les efforts de communication de Green Cross International, plus de 100 personnes étaient présentes à la conférence (dont une bonne partie de media)
Belle interview de Yves Paccalet (merci KDS), président de Green Cross France

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Shipment day - Chargement du cargo

Today was cargo shipment day. These big boxes are leaving France tomorrow by plane, will arrive in Reykjavik, Iceland on Friday, and then will reach Akureyri (on the northern part of the country) by truck, where we will then organize all our equipment before leaving for Greenland from there.

Aujourd’hui a eu lieu le chargement du cargo. Ces grosses caisses quitteront la France demain par avion, et arriveront à Reykjavik, Islande, vendredi, et atteindront ensuite Akureyri (dans la partie nord du pays) par camion, où nous organiserons depuis cet endroit, tout notre équipement avant de partir pour le Groenland.

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Domaine de Longchamps

Tomorrow we will have our main press conference prior to departure. The event will be at the WWF headquarters in Paris (Domaine de Longchamps), speakers will include (besides myself): Yves Paccalet, president on Green Cross France and Olivier Gilg, president of GREA. We expect a lot of media attention, and of course several representative of our sponsors and partners – for any information please contact

Demain, nous avons notre principale conférence de presse avant le départ. L’événement aura lieu au siège de WWF à Paris (Domaine de Longchamps), les intervenants seront (en plus de moi même): Yves Paccalet, président de Green Cross France et Olivier Gilg, président du GREA. Nous espérons un fort impact médiatique, et bien sur de nombreux représentants de nos sponsors et partenaires – pour toutes informations merci de contacter